Thursday, April 8, 2010

Seasons Change

**Part 5 of 5 on God's Call

I hate change.

Absolutely, positively, unequivocally hate change.

Did I mention I hate change?

Okay, I’m sure you get the point. I’m a creature of habit, to coin a cliché. And if I were of a mind to investigate the deeper reasons for my intense aversion to change, I’m sure I could come up with some deep psychological motivation.

A fear of abandonment maybe? An ongoing resistance resulting from the effects of an unstable childhood perhaps? Some deep psychic wound from early adolescence possibly? All very dramatic excuses, but probably inaccurate. Definitely unimportant.

The bottom line is, I simply like things to stay the same. I like feeling comfortable. The unexpected throws me. I like a plan, preferably one that’s been laid out well in advance and holds no detours.

Unfortunately, God rarely works that way, at least in my life. I cry out to Him for a clear, well established ten year plan. He tells me His word will be a light to direct my steps and a lamp to light my path (Psalm 119:105). I beg Him to show me the next step--and the one after that and the one after that--He tells me to trust Him, not to try to figure things out on my own, and promises He will give me the direction I need (Proverbs 3:5-6).

When God called me to serve Him as a teacher, I was okay with that. Yes, teaching can be tiring at times, but it's rewarding and stable. No surprises, a nice comfortable call I could settle into and enjoy.

But as God began to lead me to serve Him in new and different ways, I put up more than a little resistance. Doesn't Romans 11:29 say the "gifts and calling of God are irrevocable ?" And they are. It isn't that God changes His mind about how He wants us to serve Him; He may, however, change or expand the scope of the call for service He gives each one of us.

So how might a change or expansion in the call play out? It could be as simple as someone who's been called to teach first grade beginning to feel a yearning to shift to older students. Or it could as complex as a doctor answering the tug at his heart to close his successful practice, pack up his family, and devote his life to foreign missions. Or it could be as dramatic (and might I add painful) as a woman who's established and comfortable living out God's call being transitioned into a new and unexpected area of ministry.

Here's what we need to understand. We're God's vessels. We're the clay, and He's the potter (Isaiah 64:8). Nothing more. Nothing less. Our job is to stay open to His work, ready and willing to answer the call whereever it leads us . . . in whatever form it takes.

--Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment