Monday, February 23, 2009

Writer's Block: Fact or Fiction?

Writer’s Block--is a phenomenon involving temporary loss of ability to begin or continue writing. (Wikipedia)


Confession time: I like to blame quite a bit on writer’s block. And when I say “quite a bit,” what I really mean is every time I sit down at the computer and can’t seem to form a coherent thought, I growl in frustration and claim I’m suffering from “the block.” This is usually accompanied by a beleaguered sigh and a back of the hand delicately placed on the forehead (because I tend to the dramatic).


It’s actually a pretty handy excuse to be lazy when you need one because, really, who can argue with a “phenomenon” that is so intangible and hard to refute?


Am I the literary world’s equivalent of a hypochondriac, claiming every uninspired moment to be symptomatic of a deeper and incurable problem? Or am I allowing myself to believe that my mind can really shut me out so I don’t have to name the real causes of my lack of productivity . . .


Laziness.


Fear.


Apathy.


The list goes on depending on the circumstances and my mood.


I’m certainly not a scientist or a psychologist. And I can’t answer definitively whether the “phenomenon” of writer’s block is real or imagined. Perhaps it is different for everyone. But what I do know (from painful, personal experience) is that the excuse (whether real or not) can quickly become a crutch—a tool that can prevent me from actually working when there aren’t any roadblocks in my mind.


So what if writer’s block is real, and what if you have it? Or what if, you’re like most of us and are simply (a) disillusioned (b) tired or (c) not that into it anymore? Is there a sure-fire way to bring back the creative juices so you can dash off a prize-winning piece?


I’m not so sure, and I certainly don’t have the answer. If there is a cure, and someone knows the secret, I’m as eager as anyone else to hear it.


I guess for myself, the secret (which is not so great a secret, I suppose) is to continuously remind myself what I love about the craft. To move on to something else for a while if I’m bored. To seek motivation and inspiration from family and friends. And sometimes (just every once in a long while) to admit that I’m stalling, to face the ugly reasons why, and to push on anyway.

--Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment